Colorado Native Plant Society
is a non-profit organization dedicated to furthering the knowledge,
appreciation and conservation of native plants and
habitats of Colorado through education,
stewardship and advocacy
Scroll Down for News & Bookstore
Kenosha Pass, South Park, Park Co. [credit]
This Site Is a Celebration of Colorado's Beautiful Flora and Landscapes
Please help CoNPS serve members like you even better by filling out the survey via the link below. It should only take about 5 minutes to complete the 10 questions. Your help is most appreciated.
Plant Family Comparison Spreadsheet by Peggy Lyon
Peggy Lyon has created a spreadsheet that compares the family names for Western Colorado genera. The spreadsheet includes all the genera in Weber & Wittmann’s Colorado Flora: Western Slope (3rd ed. or 4th ed.) with the family names used in Weber & Wittmann (both 3rd ed. & 4th ed.), Ackerfield, Bonap, and APG III. Thanks for the great tool, Peggy! (Note from CoNPS: If you distribute Peggy's spreadsheet to others, please cite Peggy Lyons as the author). Click on this link to Plant Family Comparison Spreadsheet.
Ackerfield, Jennifer. 2015. Flora of Colorado. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press.
BONAP's North American Plant Atlas (NAPA).2015. http://bonap.net/NAPA/Family/Modern/County
Weber, William A. and Ronald C. Wittman. 2006. Colorado Flora Western Slope 3rd ed. Boulder, CO: University Press of Colorado.
Weber, William A. and Ronald C. Wittman. 2006. Colorado Flora Western Slope 4th ed. Boulder, CO: University Press of Colorado.'s
2015 Colorado Native Plant Society Annual Conference
and Colorado Rare Plant Symposium were held at the
American Mountaineering Center in Golden, Colorado
on September 11-13, 2015
Check out the photo galleries of the events here:
CoNPS 2015 Summer Field Trips Has Been Completed. The 2016 Field Trips will be posted in the Winter of 2015 or Beginning of 2016. Keep Checking Back.
CoNPS 2015 Workshop Season Off The Ground
Check out the Workshop Page for the first three workshops:
Incorporating Colorado Native Plants into Your Landscape
Introduction to the Parsley Family
IMPORTANT: Holidays are just around the corner, do not forget to check out
IMPORTANT: Do not forget to shop at smile.amazon.com and select Colorado Native Plant Society to support. It is identical to amazon.com but CoNPS get a small percentage of all sales.
Now visitors and members can register and pay for membership on-line at our Join - Donate page, accessed by the button in the upper right hand corner of this home page. Here you can join the society, fill out survey forms and make donations if you wish. Payments are made to your credit card through PayPal.
Second, our bookstore is up and running and fully stocked with all the wonderful books about Colorado Flora. You can access our bookstore through the menu at the bottom of this home page at Bookstore. By the way; we did a little survey of book prices and found that 80% the books in our bookstore were less expensive than those on Amazon.com.
But we love Amazon. In our bookstore you can sign up for AmazonSmile, designate CoNPS as a favored charity and a small piece of Amazon's profits will be donated to us for everything you buy. Use the blue button on the main menu of our bookstore, or go direct to AmazonSmile.
And for you native plant gardeners, visit our Native Plant Gardening page for great tips about how to get those native plant critters to grow and thrive in our hot, dry environment. You will find it under Resources on our main menu above.
- 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm, December 1, 2015 – Why Do I Have to Rake My Yard?
- 8:00 am – 4:00 pm, December 3, 2015 – Southern Rockies Seed Network 2015 Annual Meeting
- 9:00 am – 3:00 pm, December 5, 2015 – December 6, 2015 – Workshop - Introduction to the Parsley Family
- 9:30 am – 12:00 pm, December 5, 2015 – CoNPS Board
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, December 10, 2015 – A Region of Astonishing Beauty—the Early Botanical Exploration of the Rocky Mountains
- 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm, January 7, 2016 – Northern Chapter January 7th Chapter Meeting
- 9:00 pm – 3:00 pm, January 10, 2016 – Workshop - Colorado Willows: Identification
- 9:00 am – 3:00 pm, January 23, 2016 – Workshop - Tour of Herbarium at Colorado State University followed by Basic Plant Identification for Beginning Botanists
- 9:00 am – 3:00 pm, January 24, 2016 – Workshop - Tour of Herbarium at Colorado State University followed by Basic Plant Identification for Beginning Botanists
- 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm, January 26, 2016 – Stewardship of Rare Plants by the Colorado State Land Board - Denver Chapter Meeting
- 9:00 am – 3:00 pm, January 30, 2016 – Workshop - Tour of the University of Colorado Herbarium and Beginner’s Lichenology
- 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm, February 4, 2016 – Northern Chapter Febuary 4th Chapter Meeting
- 9:00 am – 3:00 pm, February 13, 2016 – Workshop - Colorado Willows: Identification
- 9:00 am – 3:30 pm, February 20, 2016 – Seeds
- 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm, February 23, 2016 – The Natural Heritage of the Denver Area: Surprises in our Backyard - Dave Anderson
- 6:30 pm – 9:00 pm, March 3, 2016 – Northern Chapter Meeting
- 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, March 12, 2016 – Landscaping with Native Plants Conference