Colorado Native Plant Society
dedicated to furthering the knowledge, appreciation and
conservation of native plants and habitats
of Colorado through education,
Scroll Down for News & Bookstore
Butler Gulch Cirque, Clear Creek Co. [credit]
This Site Is a Celebration of Colorado's Beautiful Flora and Landscapes
Colorado Native Plant Society News
2015 Colorado Native Plant Society Annual Conference
and Colorado Rare Plant Symposium
American Mountaineering Center in Golden, Colorado
Native Plants and Pollinators
September 11-13, 2015
Friday September 11 – 12th Annual Rare Plant Symposium
Saturday, September 12 – CoNPS Annual Meeting (programs)
Sunday, September 13 – Field Trips., Stay tuned for details!
Jennifer Ackerfield's Flora of Colorado
Now in Stock !! To order, go to the CoNPS Bookstore
Final Comment Period for Colorado State Wildlife Action Plan
Summer Employment Opportunity in Pecos National Historic Park, NM
CoNPS Chapters Organize 49 Field Trips for the Summer
There is a field trip for every fancy, from local venues like Roxborough State Park just southwest of Denver, with its 365 documented species, to high-mountain sites like Little Bald Mountain 35 miles northwest of Fort Collins. A special effort is going to be made this year to record all of the species seen on these trips so that we can publish them on our site on SEINet. We have established a repository of all of our species lists on SEINet to assure maximum dissemination of the information we have on the flora of Colorado.
For those that want to sample the flora of southwest Colorado, our affiliate the San Juan Four Corners Native Plant Society has organized seven trips.
Annual Photo Contest in Full Swing
The Colorado Native Plant Society annual photo contest this year runs from May 15 to August 15. Every year we have more and more wonderful photographers entering the contest. The four categories are:
Colorado Native Plant Landscapes
Colorado Native Plants
Artistic (Native Plants or Landscapes)
Colorado Native Plants & Wildlife (including insects/pollinators)
Photos submitted for this contest will be used to populate the photography on this website, will be published in Aquilegia, and the First Place winners in each category will receive $50.00. Click for details
Annual Seed Swap and Plant Sale, Saturday, September 19, 2015; 9 to 11 am; Butterfly Pavilion, Westminster, CO
Welcome to the New CoNPS Website!
We are really pleased to introduce you to the new Colorado Native Society website! We are so excited to unveil our new creation because of all the wonderful things we are going to be able to do here. Much of our ideas and plans are still under construction, but will be rolled out over the next few months. We will use this space to introduce you to the wonderful things that are happening inside.
Photos, Photos, Photos
But get you started, the first thing you will notice is that every page is full of photos of Colorado flora and landscapes. As our tagline states, "Celebration of Colorado's Beautiful Flora and Landscapes". What better way to do that than share with you the glorious photos submitted to our annual photo contest and other wonderful photos from our CoNPS members. It will take a little time to fill all the photo slots on the website. Currently a small number of photos provided by Mo Ewing repetitively fill the slots. But over the next weeks these will be replaced by the new photos. All the photos will be labeled with title, location or species common and scientific name. Click on the small [credit] tab to see information about the photographer and other information. Click on the photo again to see a full-sized version. All of the photos will be maintained in our on-line database which is searchable from many locations on the site.
That leads to the second wonderful aspect of the site. Since it is based on a PHP-SQL database everything is searchable. On the search pages, which we call category pages, there are two search windows. One searches the whole site and one searches only the category that you are in. The difference between the two is that if you are on the Denver Field Trips page and want to search for field trips only in Roxborough State Park, you use the "search field trips box. If you want to find out anything on the site about Roxborough State Park you would use the "search site" box and then you might get a history of the park, photos and field trips.
Calendar of Events
The category pages are organized to show you the most recent events, announcements and so forth. If, however, you want to see a listing of events in chronological order, you simply click on the Calendar of Events page (there is also one on this page). There you will see a calendar that you can sort by month and (see the color key at the bottom) if you only want to see events in your chapter, click on the key at the bottom and the events will be filtered to show those only in your chapter.
So welcome, enter and have fun. More to come....
- 9:00 am – 4:30 pm, July 30, 2015 – Hoosier Ridge West Field Trip
- August 1, 2015 – August 2, 2015 – Lower McCullough Gulch
- 6:30 am – 5:00 pm, August 1, 2015 – Rocky Mountain National Park, Wild Basin Area
- 8:15 am – 2:00 pm, August 2, 2015 – Rocky Mountain Alpine Plants—Ute Trail
- 7:30 am – 4:00 pm, August 5, 2015 – James Peak Wilderness Crater Lakes Trail
- August 6, 2015 – Native Plant Master® Classes
- 9:30 am – 12:00 pm, August 8, 2015 – CoNPS Board Meeting
- 7:30 am, August 9, 2015 – Ute Trail off Trail Ridge Road, Rocky Mtn. Nat. Park
- 6:00 pm, August 12, 2015 – Dan & Anne Clark’s Native Plant Garden, west Loveland
- August 13, 2015 – Native Plant Master® Classes
- 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, August 15, 2015 – Middle Bald Mountain Near Red Feather Lakes, CO
- 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, August 16, 2015 – GRASSES - DAVIDSON MESA, BOULDER
- August 20, 2015 – Native Plant Master® Classes
- 7:30 am – 5:00 pm, August 22, 2015 – Signal Mountain Trail off Pingree Park Road, Larimer County, CO
- 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm, August 27, 2015 – Boulder Open Space Mountain Parks South Boulder Creek Floodplain
- August 28, 2015 – August 31, 2015 – Advanced Sedge Workshop with Tony Reznicek
- 6:00 pm – 8:30 pm, September 9, 2015 – Cathy Fromme Prairie (West), Fort Collins, CO