Early History of CoNPS

John Marr  First CoNPS President 1957
John Marr, First CoNPS President 1957 [photo credit]

 

The Colorado Native Plant Society (Co.N.P.S., now abbreviated CoNPS) was incorporated on June 10, 1976. The inspiration for the founding of the Society came from a workshop on threatened and endangered plants held by the U.S. Forest Service and the Audubon Society in early 1976. In March, discussions began that led to the formation of CoNPS.

The Colorado Native Plant Society was founded “to encourage the appreciation and conservation of the native plants and ecosystems of Colorado.”

The first Board of Directors of the Colorado Native Plant Society consisted of Steve Bissell, Genevieve Bryant, Chuck Feddema, John Halverson, William Harmon, Karen Hollweg, John Marr, Peter Mogielnicki, J. Scott Peterson, Kim Vories, Jean Widman, and Dieter Wilken. John Marr was the first president of the Board of Directors of CoNPS.

William A. Weber skating through the CU Herbarium
William A. Weber skating through the CU Herbarium [credit]

 

The first annual meeting of the Colorado Native Plant Society was held October 9, 1976 at the Denver Botanic Gardens, with 170 people in attendance. An election was held and the members of the Board of Directors became Steve Bissell, Genevieve Bryant, Chuck Feddema, Hugo Ferchau, William Gambel, John Halverson, William Harmon, John Marr, J. Scott Peterson, Kim Vories, William Weber, and Dieter Wilken. Officers of the Board of Directors were: William Weber, President; Hugh Ferchau, Vice President; Kim Vories, Treasurer; Dieter Wilken, Secretary.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Board of Directors meeting minutes will be searchable in the future, once this historical data is entered into this website.

The records and publications of the Colorado Native Plant Society are housed in the Archives of Dayton Memorial Library, Regis University, 3333 Regis Blvd., Denver, CO 80221. The Archives have limited hours so phone for an appointment: Elizabeth Cook, Archivist, 303-964-3612 or email her at ecook at regis dot edu. The Reference Desk may be reached at 303-458-4031.

An electronic version of the early (1976-1977) Minutes of Colorado Native Plant Society Board of Directors meetings can be read at http://libguides.regis.edu/c.php?g=53835&p=346793.

A complete collection of the Colorado Native Plant Society Newsletter (now known as Aquilegia: The Newsletter of the Colorado Native Plant Society) is in the process of being moved to a new database by Regis University.